Friday, 27 March 2009

Day 10

Slept in and had four more showers before heading out to Phuket town. Had one of the those annoying waste 1/2 and hour of our time sitting where the helpful reception desk lady told us the bus was before finding out it was 50m down the road and we had missd two buses while we were sitting there moments. The bus ambled its way into town (there are no bus stops, the driver just honks regularly to let people know where he is- this confuses most tourists who have no idea what he is on about) and dropped us outisde a school. At this point I felt a bit like a dying rat being circled by vultures as the 6 tuk tuk drivers proceeded to get in our face offering us a lift. Applause for Jono's resolve to just walk away.

In reality I would have liked to do something else but there are laws in this country. Since Phuket but not in Chang Mai I have decided that anyone that gets in my face when its hot is going to end up more confused. It's a bit like Weekend at Bernie's at the start of the film when the guy is walking over a bridge in the park and a guy pulls a gun on him and he just looks at him and says "not today it's too hot". I've decided to just stare them down and say leave me alone. My other option is much more fun and I'm opening this to all readers to chip in with suggestions. The competition is called Where do I want to go in a Tuk Tuk? Recently I've been asking to go to the Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Dandenong, the MCG and Broken Hill. I haven't been quoted a price yet or punched which is good too. So any suggestions would be great.

We booked our 24hr bus ride and crossed our fingers the buses really existed and headed back to the hotel (detour of getting lost for about 40mins).

We had dinner at one of the many scandinavian resturants which have an english/thai menu and then a danish/italian/thai menu. Every table was full of regulars who knew the staff (one table was sharing photos with one of the waiters using bluetooth on their mobiles). Great thai food.

But the best part of the meal was the five year old boy who went flying past me to the kitchen with his mother behind him as he projectile vomitted into the owners open arms with the most fortunate plastic bag in the history of plastic bags that was already in her hands. We already had received our food at this stage. Nothing fills you with confidence at a restaurant when another customer throws-up in front of you...Needless to say I walked out satisfied that my last 24 hours on this planet were upon me. I also feel for the person that ordered Pad Thai as we were leaving...could you really tell the difference?

Oh and tim we bought mangosteens (Jono hasn't had them before) which I agree are the best fruit on the planet- though did you know that the skin can be used as a textile dye- works even when you just drop some on your clothes!

Mangosteens are the best fruit except could someone send Em a bib cause she gets them everywhere...even places where she's not even eating them...I don't know how she does it...I had to clean the bath on my holidays, who does that!

No comments:

Post a Comment