Monday, 6 April 2009

Sunday 5th April

We went gathering food for breakfast at our guesthouse last night. Managed to find bread, butter (at Tescos- there was extra walking involved for this) a young coconut and picked up two bags of fruit (rockmelon and watermelon- already cut into beautifully shaped portions- its held together with a bamboo skewer for eating on the run). I managed to open the coconut with a meat cleaver without ending up in hospital and we also were adventurous and picked up some sticky sweet stuffed covered in coconut jelly and wrapped in a banana leaf.

We then went to the Insect Museum. Tim and Steph also went here when they were here. The guy is really eccentric and despite his best efforts I still intend to kill every mosquito that comes near me (even if they just want to give me a kiss as he suggested) some species of mosquito may be good but I'm not taking the chance. He told a lovely story about the lucky vulture egg (stone) that his grandmoher gave him and a rather unpleasant sorry about how he survived malaria without treatment.

He was treated just not by anything you'd consider medicine. Think cutting to make you bleed and that's the medicine he was subjected to. He did get better, but that which precedes a good outcome is not necessarily the cause of it. Of the 436 mosquitos there are 10 that transmit disease. This guy was a trained lawyer so I don't believe him especially seeing his wife who has a phd in entomology said in a newspaper interview, " Mozzies are my enemy." Yep that'll do it for me, the chick whose been studying them for 50 years said she doesn't like them and I'm not one to disagree with that.

After the museum we walked to the vegetarian centre cafeteria. When we arrived it looked rather closed beacuse its closed on the weekend but I hadn't realised that) one of the women who worked there saw us and came up. She said that they would be open at 6am tomorrow, because 6 sounded rather early I tried to ask when they closed. I'm not sure how it happened but she decided to usher us into the centre, sit us down and let us share their lunch. Like an italain grandmother or thai one probably she filled our bowls and got us water and even gave us sweet tamarind to eat. It was realy lovely and the food was really yummy. She told us she had been working there for 10 years and taught the new staff how to cook. We left feeling very lucky and very surpised.

When Em says she hadn't realised they weren't open on the weekend, what she really means is she didn't read the open Mon-Fri in the guidebook, and nearly had us abducted by old Thai woman who wanted us to eat raw vegies without any meat at all. Ahhh the pain.

We then walked to Airport Plaza and saw Fast and Furious 4. Jono will have to comment on the movie.

Think of a really good film and then know this one is better. Unfortunately there seem to be less cars to play with than the previous movies but the Skyline gets centre stage again. Do yourselves a favour... What can I say Vin Diesel is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment